Sunday, November 26, 2017


Kristin Guizzetti, Supervisor for Adult Protective Service, will be making a presentation at the Rainier Senior Center on December 11th starting at 10:30 AM.  Her presentation will be about 1 hour long.  She will answer questions or concerns about the services that Adult Protective Services provide.

Adult Protective Services receives and investigates reports of allegations of abuse, abandonment, neglect, self-neglect and financial exploitation of vulnerable adults living in the community and in facilities. ... Abuse prevention tips and suggestions. Read current laws that protect vulnerable adults in Washington State.

APS will take the report and investigate if APS has jurisdiction and the adult is considered a vulnerable adult.
An APS investigator will:
  • conduct a home visit, usually unannounced;
  • interview other individuals who may have information about the situation; and
  • offer protective services if the investigator determines abuse has occurred.
Depending upon the situation, law enforcement may also be called upon to investigate.
If abuse is confirmed, APS works closely with others in the community to ensure the health and safety of the vulnerable adult. This may include such things as having a case manager work with the vulnerable adult to determine what care services are needed and helping him/her get those services, emergency shelter, food, medical care, counseling, help moving if it is necessary and follow up to ensure the adult is safe.
On the legal front, APS may report the alleged abuser to law enforcement, help get an emergency protective order, an injunction to allow access to an alleged victim or referral for legal assistance. In extreme cases, APS may work with the Attorney General’s office to appoint a guardian.
It is important to understand the vulnerable adult has the right to make his/her choices. A vulnerable adult who has been abused has the right to refuse any or all interventions or change his/her mind and withdraw consent to any assistance from APS at any time.

Call 1-866-ENDHARM (1-866-363-4276*) if you: suspect abuse or neglect of a child suspect abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult Call 9-1-1 if a child or adult is in an ... People with hearing loss who have specialized telecommunication devices can call 866-363-4276 (End Harm) through Washington Relay Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment